Print and Other Media
- Bloomberg, January 17, 2014, Professor Puts Ideas in Practice as Reverse-Mortgage CEO...also published in Business Week on January 23, 2014 as Reverse-Mortgage Rule Changes Draw Professor to the Business.
- Bloomberg, January 22, 2014, State Lenders Escape Rules to Put Americans in Homes: Mortgages
- Charlotte Business Journal, January 15, 2014, REBIC Hosts National Housing Economist Christopher Mayer at Jan. 23 Forum
- MSN, December 19, 2013, Mortgage Rates to Rise, but Not Because of Tapering
- Investopedia, December 16, 2013, What to Expect from REITs in 2014
- Washington Post, November 8, 2013, Wall Street Figured out How to Securitize Your Rent. Should You Worry?
- Motley Fool, October 12, 2013, An Interview With Columbia's Chris Mayer, Real Estate Expert
- CNN Money, August 14, 2013, Obama Introduces a New Game: Fake Bipartisanship
- Bloomberg, July 30, 2013, American Dream Slipping as Homeownership at 18-Year Low
- New York Magazine, April 12, 2013, Real Estate Déjà Vu
- Washington Post, January 17, 2013, Bank of America Puts to Bed Claims from Housing Crisis, While Retreating from Market
- Hermes: The Alumni Magazine of Columbia Business School, November 26, 2012, American Daydream
- ProPublica, October 25, 2012, Why Freddie Mac Resisted Refis
- MNI, October 2, 2012, US Housing Policy Experts Say GSE Reform Will Have To Wait
- The Hill, October 2, 2012, Mortgage Finance System Overhaul Way Down the Road
- Fortune, September 11, 2012, Can the Middle Class Thrive Without Home Ownership?
- Hindsight 2020, July 31, 2012, The Raft for an Underwater Housing Market
- PR Web, July 24, 2012, Hasty Loan Denials of HARP Refinance Applications Mislead Thousands of Discouraged Underwater Homeowners
- Center for Responsible Lending, June 27, 2012, Expanding Refinances Could Save Billions for Homeowners
- Bloomberg View, May 17, 2012, Principal Reductions Won’t Solve the Mortgage Mess
- Mortgage News Daily, May 9, 2012, Potential Broad-Based Refi Plan Aims to Level Playing Field; Increase Home Prices
- Us News & World Report, April 25, 2012, More Refinance Help on Horizon for Fannie, Freddie Homeowners?
- NPR (Audio), April 23, 2012, Continued Job Growth will Help Housing Industry
- The Boston Globe, April 19, 2012, When Homeowners Refinance, It's Good for Business, with Glenn Hubbard
- US News & World Report, April 19, 2012, Homeowner Refinancing Would Kick-Start the Economy, with Glenn Hubbard
- The Washington Post, March 7, 2012, Foireclosures Will Probably Rise in 2012 - And That Could Be a Good Sign
- The Washington Post, March 6, 2012. Early Optimisim for Obama's Latest Mass Refi Push
- The Washington Post, February 29, 2012, Can we fix housing by turning foreclosures into rentals?
- The Washington Post, February 28, 2012, Obama's HARP 2.0 hasn't achieved lift-off yet
- American Banker, February 27, 2012, Why FHFA is Wrong on Principal Forgiveness
- Politico, February 15, 2012, How to fix the mortgage mess, with Glenn Hubbard
- Politico, February 12, 2012, Banks near mortgage deal with state AGs, with Glenn Hubbard
- American Banker, February 10, 2012, Economists Grow More Upbeat on Housing
- The Hill, February 28, 2012, OVERNIGHT MONEY: House expected to quickly pass STOCK Act
- BloombergBuinessWeek, February 8, 2012, Mass Refi Plan Would Hit Pensions While Easing Mortgage Payments
- The Washington Post, February 6, 2012, Foreclosure deal doesn'g go far enough, some groups say
- The Washington Post, February 2, 2012, Experts react to Obama's new housing plan
- BloombergBusinessWeek, February 2, 2012, Obama Vows to Cut Red Tape Stymieing Homeowners Loans: Mortgages
- International Herald Tribune, February 1, 2012, US to scrutinize investments by Freddie Mac; Treasury to investigate mortgage finance giant's bets against homeowners
- ProPublica, January 30, 2012, Freddie Mac Bets Against American Homeowners
- BloombergBusinessWeek, January 25, 2012, Obama Answers Bernake Plea with refinancing Plan: Mortgages
- Fortune, January 18, 2012, A new stimulus: Have Wall Street bail out Main Street
- The Washington Post, January 17, 2012, Time to consider mass mortgage refinancing, with Glenn Hubbard
- The Huffington Post, January 17, 2012, Remodeling Homeowner Incentives: A Plan to Revive the Housing Market be Replacing Mortgage Interest Deductions with Tax Credits
- BloomberBusinessWeek, January 6, 2012, Goldman, Citigroup CDOs were Tip of Iceberg: The Ticker
- TheStreet.com, Janaury 5, 2012, White House Denies $1 Trillion Mortgage Fix: Report (Update 2)
- National Review Online, December 22, 2011, Economic Reality Check, with Glenn Hubbard
- BloombergBusinessWeek, December 19, 2011, No relief for homeowners shut out by US
- UPI.com, October 30, 2011, Will the latest pan to help homeowners work?, with Glenn Hubbard
- The Takeaway (Audio), October 25, 2011, Obama Administration Expands Mortgage Assistance Program
- The Washington Post, October 19, 2011, How much would mass refinancing do for th economy?
- The Washington Post, September, 19, 2011, Wonkbook: No compromise from Obama, with Glenn Hubbard
- The Washington Post, September 17, 2011, Steven Pearlstein: How about Refi.gov?, with Glenn Hubbard
- NPR, September 25, 2011, Mortgage Savings: Leaders Seek Refinancing Options
- Housing Wire, September 14, 2011, Senate hears hidden risk of major refinancing plan
- C-SPAN, September 14, 2011, Mortgage Loan Reform,
- Housing Wire, September 9, 2011, Obama refinancing plan problematic, but possible, with Glenn Hubbard
- Time.com, September 6, 201,1 Is the government going to lower everyone's mortgage payment?, with Glenn Hubbard
- The Huffington Post, September 2, 2011, Medication for Middle-Class Mortgage Mania, with Glenn Hubbard
- Us News & World Report, August 26, 2011, One final bailout that still might happen, with Glenn Hubbard
- Moringstar.com, August 25, 2011, Not So Fast, or So Simple
- Fortune, August 24, 2011, DC's new motto: Why buy when you can rent?
- The Washington Post, August 23, 2011, Can housing policy be an effective stimulus? with Glenn Hubbard
- The Takeaway, August 16, 2011, Big Ideas to Fix the Economy: Boost Housing Prices
- BloombergBusinessWeek, August 16, 2011, Banks Block Obama's Mortgage Stimulus Plan
- NPR, August 15, 2011, Low Rates Alone Not Seen Reviving Housing Market
- Opposing Views, July 25, 2011, Cash to be worth less if US defaults
- The Bookings Institution, July 19, 2011, Three Ways President Obama Can Fix the Housing Crisis
- DS News.com, July 13, 2011, Modifications and Strategic Behavior: A Countrywide Case Study
- The Washington Post, July 1, 2011, Wonkbook: Is July 22nd the new debt-ceiling day?
- The Washington Post, June 30, 2011, Foreclosure backlogs taking longer to process
- The Atlantic, June 15, 2011, Mortgage Modification Program Encourages Default
- Newsday, June 10, 2011, Mortgage interest deduction debate goes on
- Housing Wire, May 24, 2011, Watch for strategic defaulters, economists suggest after studying Countrywide data
- BloombergBusinessWeek, May 18, 2011, US Housing May Not Recover until 2014: Survey
- Law.com, January 24, 2011, Columbia Develops Joint Law, Business Initiative with $10 million gift
- National Journal, January 20, 2011, A Massive Hangover from the Mortgage Mess
- The Huffington Post, January 13, 2011, Rebounding Mortgage Rates Keep Home Sales Down
- Reuter's Special Report, October 29, 2010, A Marshall Plan for America's Housing Woes
- Financial Times,October 22, 2010, Foreclosures spawn new attitude to ownership
- Financial Times, October 17, 2010, Two Heads are Better than One, with Glenn Hubbard and Gita Johar
- BloombergBusinessWeek, September 29, 2010, Home Act Introduced to Stabliiz Foreclosures, Congressman Says
- Reuters, September 28, 2010, Lawmakers Unveils Mortgage Modification Bill
- The Huffington Post, September 27, 2010, The Federal Government Must Use Freddie and Frannie to Refinance Mortgages
- The Seattle Times, September 24, 2010, More than half exit foreclosure-relief program
- Financial Times, September 23, 2010, US Jobless Claim Fuel Labour Woes
- Associated Press, September 23, 2010, More than half exit foreclosure-relief program
- Forbes.com, September 22, 2010, More than half exit foreclosure-relief program
- BloomberBusinessWeek, September 22, 2010, Mortgage Bond Rally Centers on Least Likely to Refinance: Credit Markets, with Glenn Hubbard
- MarketWatch, September 10, 2010, China sets its sights on potash and investors take notice
- BloombergBusinessWeek and Crain's New York Business, August 31, 2010, Manhattan luxury condos embrace FHA backing
- United Press International, May 11, 2010, Economic Outlook: Back to Basics
- Los Angeles Times, February 27, 2009, Obama Housing Fix Too Timid?
"I don't think that raising the cost of credit in a recession and during a credit crunch is good policy."
- The Economist, October 23, 2008 A Helping Hand to Homeowners "Another former CEA chairman, Glenn Hubbard, along with his Columbia University colleague, Chris Mayer, take a more radical approach. House prices could collapse, they reckon, because the downward pressure from foreclosures is made far worse by the scarcity and expense of home loans.
- Bloomberg.com, August 21, 2008, Mortgage Rates for Best Borrowers Rise as Bonds Slump (Update2)
"New home buyers are going to have to get credit at reasonable terms for the decline to stop, the price issue alone is having a very, very big effect."
- ConsumerAffairs.com, August 15, 2008, Rise in Mortgage Rates Linked to Falling House Prices
"The problems in the mortgage market have put the nation's housing in a downward spiral that will be hard to break."
- Associated Press, August 8, 2008, Fannie Mae loses $2.3B in quarter as defaults rise
- Bloomberg.com, July 21, 2008, Bush Failures May Force McCain, Obama to Make Like FDR in 2009
- USA Today, July 13, 2008, "Why the crisis of confidence at Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae?"
"I think there is going to have to be some government intervention with Fannie and Freddie, I don't see how we could avoid that... If you are trying to get a new mortgage or if you are trying to sell your house and your buyer needs to get a mortgage, mortgages are likely to get considerably more expensive."
- House Repos Blog, June 16, 2008, "Interest Rate Cuts Fail to Check Foreclosures"
"... rate shocks can no longer be held responsible for defaults and foreclosures."
- Washington Post, June 6, 2008, "Despite Interest Rate Cuts, Forclosures Hit Record High"
"So we're not going to see rate shocks causing defaults... The recent increases have been coming from the safer group of borrowers. They are the next shoe to come down."
- Time Out New York, April 2008,"No Good Buys"
“If you can’t get a mortgage, it’s neither a buyer’s or a seller’s market, it’s just a crummy market”
- The Economist, February 28, 2008, "Searching for Plan B"
[.. some $750 billion of annual mortgage lending has dried up as the securitisation of subprime and jumbo loans has collapsed. Changing bankruptcy rules would make matters worse by raising the cost and reducing the supply of mortgage credit.]
- San Francisco Chronicle, February 28, 2008, "Builders battle Congress"
"... I think the home builders are being overly optimistic to believe that such a tax credit would have much of an effect this time around. The credit crunch and lack of mortgage credit now is too big an issue."
- Money Magazine, December 2, 2007, "Real Estate: Last of the Red-Hot Markets"
- Fortune, November 7, 2007, "Real Estate: Buy, Sell or Hold?"
- The Financial Times, September 1, 2007, "Aggressive Fed Action on House Prices Foreseen"
- Forbes, August 16, 2007, "Stepping Off the Southbound REITS"
- Money Magazine, July 9, 2007, "8 Forecasts for your Financial Future: The Future of Real Estate"
- The Financial Times Limited, May 20, 2007, "The Myth of Superstar Cities"
- Business Week Online, April 2, 2007, "The Richest Zip Codes and How They Got That Way"
- Chicago Sun Times, August 27, 2006
"Slowing Home Market Propels Auctions Into Fast Track"
"...buyers think one thing: big discount."
- The Seattle Times, July 30, 2006, "Condos Appreciate Strongly; Studios Lead"
"...many young households don't view single-family houses the way their parents did."
- The Seattle Times, July 16, 2006,
"The Housing Squeeze - How the High Cost of Homes is Reshaping the Way We Live"
"But being attractive isn't enough. It's also necessary to limit supply."
- Bloomberg.com, May 30, 2006, “What to Do if the Home Bubble is an Inflated Idea”
“…we have argued consistently for several years that there is no housing bubble in most markets...”
- New York Post, May 27, 2006, “Pricey Housing May Pop Market”
“In Manhattan, we’re seeing a lot of construction, which is going to slow, if not turn prices down a little bit. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 5 percent drop next year.”
- Money Magazine, October 2005, “Big Cities, Bright Prospects”
“…there is no evidence that Boston, New York, and San Francisco are in a bubble…”
Radio and Television
Wall Street Journal
The New York Times