Donald C. Waite Professor of Social Enterprise
Finance & Economics
General Interest Papers
Environmental Economics Papers
- UNCERTAINTY AND DECISION MAKING IN CLIMATE CHANGE ECONOMICS (with Antony Millner), Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, 2014.
- THE ROLE OF SUBSIDIES IN COORDINATION GAMES WITH INTERCONNECTED RISK (with Min Gong, David Krantz (Columbia Psychology), Howard Kunreuther (Wharton) and Elke Weber) Journal of Behavioral Decision-Making
- WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT SEA LIONS? A FISHING GAME TO STUDY THE VALUE OF ENDANGERED SPECIES (with Min Gong, Psychology, Columbia) Environmental and Resource Economics
- DETERMINING BENEFITS AND COSTS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS (with Kenneth Arrow et al) Science Magazine, 341 (6144): 349-350
- SCIENTIFIC AMBIGUITY AND CLIMATE POLICY (with Antony Millner and Simon Dietz), Environmental and Resource Economics, 2013, 55:21-46
- RISK MANAGEMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE (with Howard Kunreuther, Myles Allen, Ottmar Edenhofer, Christopher Field and Gary Yohe). Nature Climate Change, March 2013, 3, pp 447‐450.
- AGREEING TO DISAGREE ON CLIMATE POLICY (with Antony Millner, LSE) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2013
- TIPPING CLIMATE NEGOTIATIONS (with Howard Kunreuther) In Thinking about the Climate: Essays in Honor of Tom Schelling, Oxford University Press
- SOCIAL REINFORCEMENT: CASADES. ENTRAPMENT AND TIPPING: American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, 2010, 2:1, 86-90
- DOING WELL BT DOING GOOD Chapter 8 of Is Growth Sustainable, International Economic Association, (Heal, editor), Palgrave Press, 2009.
- SUSTAINABLE FISHERIES Nature, 23 Oct 2008, (with Wolfram Schlenker)
- A CELEBRATION OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND RESOURCE ECONOMICS Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Vol 1 Number 1 Winter 2007 pp 7-25.
ARBITRAGE OPTIONS AND ENDANGERED SPECIES Geoffrey Heal, to be published in The Endangered Species Act at Thirty: Conserving Biodiversity in Human-Dominated landscapes, Island Press 2006, Mike Scott and Frank Davis (eds).
- ARE WE CONSUMING TOO MUCH? (with Arrow Dasgupta Goulder et. al) in Journal of Economic Perspectives summer 2004.
BIODIVERSITY AND GLOBALIZATION
- Geoffrey Heal (Columbia Business School, July 2002)
- UNCERTAINTY AND CLIMATE CHANGE Geoffrey Heal and
Bengt Kristrom (March 2002)
BUNDLING BIODIVERSITY - Geoffrey Heal (Columbia
Business School, September 2002)
- GENETIC DIVERSITY AND INTERDEPENDENT CROP
CHOICES IN AGRICULTURE - Geoffrey Heal, Brian Walker, Simon Levin, Kenneth
Arrow, Partha Dasgupta, Gretchen Daily, Paul Ehrlich, Karl-Goran Maler, Nils
Kautsky, Jane Lubchenco, Steve Schneider and David Starrett. First Draft September
2002 final draft September 12, 2002.
INTERTEMPORAL WELFARE ECONOMICS AND THE ENVIRONMENT - Geoffrey Heal January 2001. To be published in The Handbook of Environmental
Economics, edited by Karl-Goran Maler and Jeffrey Vincent.
BUNDLING PUBLIC AND PRIVATE GOODS. - Geoffrey
Heal (May 2001)
- OPTIMALITY OR SUSTAINABILITY? Plenary address to the 2001
conference of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists,
, June 2001.
- NATIONAL INCOME AND THE ENVIRONMENT - Geoffrey Heal
and BENGT KRISTROM (May 1998, revised May
2001) To be published in The Handbook of Environmental Economics, edited
by Karl-Goran Maler and Jeffrey Vincent.
- WHO SHOULD ABATE CARBON EMISSIONS? AN INTERNATIONAL VIEWPOINT (with G. Chichilnisky).
Economic Letters, 1994, 44, 443-449.
- EQUITY AND EFFICIENCY IN ENVIRONMENTAL MARKETS: GLOBAL TRADE
IN CO2 EMISSIONS - Graciela Chichilnisky, Geoffrey Heal and
David Starrett (November 1993) (Published in Environmental Markets,
- VALUING ECOSYSTEM SERVICES Ecosystems, 2000, 3: 24-30.
- MARKETS AND SUSTAINABILITY - Geoffrey Heal (July 1998)
- UNCERTAIN FUTURE PREFERENCES AND CONSERVATION - Geoffrey
Heal, Graciela Chichilnisky and Andrea Beltratti (April 1996) (Published in Sustainability: Dynamics and Uncertainty. Kluwer Academic Publishers,
- THE VALUE OF AVOIDING CLIMATE CHANGE - Geoffrey Heal and
Yun Lin (September 1997)
DISCOUNTING AND CLIMATE CHANGE - Geoffrey Heal (May 1997)
- VALUING OUR FUTURE: COST-BENEFIT ANALYSIS AND SUSTAINABILITY - Geoffrey Heal (August 1997)
- MANAGING UNKNOWN RISKS: THE FUTURE OF GLOBAL REINSURANCE
- Graciela Chichilnisky and Geoffrey Heal (August 1997)
- MARKETS AND BIODIVERSITY - Geoffrey M. Heal (September
- GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL RISKS (with G. Chichilnisky) Journal of Economic Perspectives, Fall 1993, Vol. 7, No. 4, 65-86.
- THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INTEREST RATES AND METAL PRICE MOVEMENTS Review of Economic Studies, January, 1980, XLVII, pp. 161-181.
- THE OPTIMAL DEPLETION OF EXHAUSTIBLE RESOURCES (with P.S. Dasgupta), Review of Economic Studies, Symposium on the Economics of Exhaustible resources, 1974, pp. 3-28. Reprinted in V.L. Smith (ed.) Readings in the Economics of Resources.
Economic Theory Papers